[Asterisk-Users] Announcing IAXCLIENT v0.02 A cross-platform IAX client.

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Jun 9 16:48:20 MST 2003

John,

    Are you on the iaxclient-devel list?  That would be a good place for
your feedback.

I think we've talked on IRC, and there's definately lots of known
issuess, but if you can document some of your problems, that would help!

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 20:15, John Todd wrote:

> Just wanted to say that this is very encouraging, and I'd like to see
> more!  I've got MacOS-X, and I've been desparately waiting for a SIP
> or IAX client for this system for a while.  I've got your test code
> running, which looks extremely promising.   Alas, I am not a
> programmer, and couldn't do justice to putting a front-end onto it.
> But I anxiously await the progress of others, and would happily give
> you more feedback than you probably want.
>
> JT
>

> >Asterisk-people,
> >
> >     Some of you may have heard that we were working on a simple,
> >cross-platform IAX client library called "iaxclient".
> >
> >     We've pretty much been "on vacation" with the project for a
> >while, but recently have made some progress, and now have the
> >library working across platforms, and a simple test client called
> >"testcall", up and running on 3 platforms:
> >
> >testcall runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OSX.
> >
> >I've been using it for a day now, and the quality is pretty good, of
> >course it does depend on the sound hardware you're using, etc.
> >
> >testcall is a simple command-line app, which is just a test
> >interface to the library, but it seems to work well, and I've used
> >it to make some calls both across local networks, as well as over
> >the internet.
> >
> >Some more information, including links to pre-compiled binaries, are
> >available at http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net Source code and build
> >directions are available from the sourceforge CVS servers.
> >
> >Iaxclient uses digium's libiax, the portaudio audio abstraction
> >libraries, the gsm codec, and other components.
> >
> >Feedback is, of course, welcome.
> >
> >People interested in making a cross-platform GUI for a more
> >full-featured client would also be welcomed.
> >
> >Features upcoming would include:
> >1) Audio processing code:
> >      Audio level detection, for callbacks to GUI "level meters",
> >silence detection, and Automatic Gain Control (for adjusting input
> >"levels" automatically) [perhaps also better handling of clipped
> >inputs?]
> >2) Upgrades to libiax2
> >3) Simple, and lightweight GUIs for Win32 and MacOSX
> >4) testing and tweaking of jitter buffers, recovery, and other
> >reliability enhancements [after first moving to libiax2].
> >

> >-SteveK
> >

> >--

  Steve Kann - Chief Engineer - 520 8th Ave #2300 NY 10018 -  (212) 533-1775
                HorizonLive.com - collaborate . interact . learn
   "The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed Linux."