[Asterisk-Users] SIP, NAT & Asterisk

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Jun 8 14:42:20 MST 2003

On Sunday 08 June 2003 08:45, Olaf Menzel wrote:
> Hi John,
> ------------
> thank you for pointing me to to some of the additional Asterisk
> documentation stuff.
>
> > http://www.digium.com/handbook-draft.pdf
> >
> > In addition, there are a variety of home-built pages.
> > http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm
> > http://asterisk.gnuinter.net/
>
> I found a lot of helpful hints.
>
> > My suggestion is that if your Asterisk server is behind a NAT, the
> > only hosts it should talk with are devices that are also behind the
> > NAT, or other Asterisk servers via IAX or IAX2 which may be on the
> > outside of the NAT.
>
> All my SIP devices in my home network are behind the NAT. The
> asterisk server at our institute has a official public IP address.
> Maybe the existing firewall ca make some trouble ??

Two solutions:  your existing asterisk server could be given an
interface on the internal network (without forwarding packets).
Second, you could deploy an additional internal Asterisk server
whose sole purpose would be to translate SIP calls to IAX, to relay
to the outside Asterisk server.

-Tilghman