[Asterisk-Users] Another PRI based question

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Jun 7 17:53:04 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 19:19, firedude at shorelinuxsolutions.com wrote:
> In speaking to the representative at Verizon, we came to the conclusion
> that DID numbers were not the correct solution; however we were told by
> Verizon that they could do something called assign individual numbers to
> the PRI.  What this would in effect do is give us an additional phone
> number that we would like to route to a specific extension; however unlike
> the DID number, it would not be assigned to a specific channel.  It would
> hunt for an available channel.  What we would like to be able to do is
> that even though it doesn't come in on a specific channel, still be able
> to route it directly to a specific extension.  The representative at
> Verizon said that we should be able to do this by having the PBX recognize
> the digits that come in on the line and route it to the specific extension
> accordingly.  Is there a way to do this in asterisk?  Thanks again.
> AJ

It may be time to ask for a new person to work with. You want DID
numbers. You want the DIDs to be delivered as the full length number, 10
digits. This lets you put all your incoming calls into a simple context
where you define extensions that direct the incoming phone number to a
specific function or internal extension.

While them delivering 10 digits may be overkill for DID, it allows you
to get DID numbers from different exchanges without any problems.

Also you may want to make sure they let you set your callerid number on
outbound calls. It is helpfull for my setup since my office phones
present the main number for the office. The last DID we have is what I
use for my home phone, and it presents the last DIDs number so no one
sees my office line as my callerid anymore.