[Asterisk-Users] Wish-to-have in Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Jun 7 17:41:55 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 17:33, Humberto Atristain V. wrote:
> Dear Pals
>
> I think all of us in this business (or most) looking at the Corn Flakes Back
> Side , Wish to find a NAT Friendly VOIP solution. Thats ridiculous I know, but
> what about this wish list (Personal Point of view)

IAX is that protocol. Works out of the box across a NAT. It does this by
putting the entire call on a single port and the machine behind a NAT
does register updates around every 60 seconds. This keeps any half
decent NAT solution happy with the port staying up and working.

> Upnp support for Asterisk

What would this do for asterisk? I'll have to claim ignorance as to what
you would accomplish with it.

> STUN Support for Asterisk

This would be okay, as well as the proxy support. Of course now that FWD
and IAXTEL are routing together, this will elliminate my needs for SIP.

> Small Embedded Asterisk (just to redirect IAX) SIP-IAX , h.323-IAX or
> something like that , on the End Point.
> As a Nat friendly end point

How small are you thinking? What type of media are you thinking of
putting this on? Looking at my current phone routing machine thats only
duty is to terminate my PRI and route some calls to a channel bank in
the colo rack, and send the rest down our data T1 to our office asterisk
machine. On this machine It currently is taking 1gig of drive space, but
of that 245M is my src directory, 119M is documentation, I have 122M in
my postgres database area, and 242M in my home directory.

If I remove all those spots I mentioned above, and uninstall postgres,
I'd almost be able to stick this setup on a 256meg CF card. This is a
default debian install with all the dev packages to compile asterisk
too. So I bet I could easily build a machine that would do what you
want. Why does that need to be part of the core asterisk project?

> the most diffuctult
>
> Integrate IAX to RFCXXXXXX SIP , or H.323 to be recognized as Standard.
>
> Go to SIP Interop forums and look at the possibility to integrate IAX to SIP(
> or something like that)
>
> Manufacturers include IAX as Sip, MGCP, H.323

This is more market pressure than a project goal. If there is enough
people asking for that feature, then more than just the Snom folks will
look into providing it.