[Asterisk-Users] Manager

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jul 31 12:31:56 MST 2003

On Thursday 31 July 2003 14:05, Greg Renouf wrote:
> Perhaps it would make sense to integrate the Manager function
> controls into IAX2?  From my understanding, IAX2 already has built-in
> encryption (MD5 or RSA)- communications would be secured this way.

AFAIK, both IAX and IAX2 can use encryption only for the authentication
stage.  From that point on, all packets are sent unencrypted.

> Many of the 'Manager' features could be useful to 'superusers' (e.g.
> receptionists, local operators.)  If these features were available in
> IAX2, it would then be possible to add these features to the user's
> IP phone without having to integrate two different architectures.

Manager functions make sense in TCP.  Voice communication makes
sense in UDP.  We have two different needs and the proper protocol
being used for each.

> Match this with a CGI/IAX2 client app (and perhaps a Windows .dll)
> and we then have an standard interface for all interactions between
> end-users, system managers & * servers.

The Manager interface is already a standard interface between those.

-Tilghman