[Asterisk-Users] h323 and oh323 modules

Michael Manousos manousos at inaccessnetworks.com
Wed Jul 23 10:53:19 MST 2003

Jeremy McNamara wrote:
> Michael Manousos wrote:
>
>> johncn wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> what's the difference between h323 and oh323 modules? which one
>>> should I use?
>>>

>> asterisk-oh323 (oh323) is THE first and original
>> H.323 channel driver for Asterisk. The other is
>> based on this one.
>>

> That is patently false.
> For example:
>
> asterisk-oh323 uses an external shared object to wrap everything in
> along with the actual shared library for asterisk,  chan_h323 implements
> everything properly in one shared library.

That's the first mistake with chan_h323. It's a single, large object
encapsulating all the descendant classes and the channel driver
interface implementation.

> asterisk-oh323's configuration is not even close to any other channel
> driver configuration.  chan_h323 trys to keep the same conventions that
> already have been established in other VoIP based channel drivers.

Yes, the configuration of asterisk-oh323 is simpler.

> asterisk-oh323 uses a pseudo sound card implementation to pass the raw
> audio from the Asterisk side to the Open H.323.  chan_h323 uses Asterisk
> RTP stack and avoids a ton of unneeded audio processing, hence will
> scale dramatically higher.  (Fact not opinion)

The implementation of asterisk-oh323 is close to the right
one from OpenH323 point's of view. The scalability problem
was present only on the initial releases.

> And so on.....I have about a dozen other problems with asterisk-oh323.

What are these problems?

> chan_h323 is not in any way based on asterisk-oh323, the only common
> component is the Open H.323 stack.

Plus the wrapper API.

> Jeremy McNamara

Michael.