[Asterisk-Users] h323 and oh323 modules

Jeremy McNamara jj at indie.org
Wed Jul 23 09:13:14 MST 2003

Michael Manousos wrote:

>johncn wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>what's the difference between h323 and oh323 modules? which one should I
>>use?
>>

>asterisk-oh323 (oh323) is THE first and original
>H.323 channel driver for Asterisk. The other is
>based on this one.

That is patently false.

For example:

asterisk-oh323 uses an external shared object to wrap everything in
along with the actual shared library for asterisk,  chan_h323 implements
everything properly in one shared library.

asterisk-oh323's configuration is not even close to any other channel
driver configuration.  chan_h323 trys to keep the same conventions that
already have been established in other VoIP based channel drivers.

asterisk-oh323 uses a pseudo sound card implementation to pass the raw
audio from the Asterisk side to the Open H.323.  chan_h323 uses Asterisk
RTP stack and avoids a ton of unneeded audio processing, hence will
scale dramatically higher.  (Fact not opinion)

And so on.....I have about a dozen other problems with asterisk-oh323.

chan_h323 is not in any way based on asterisk-oh323, the only common
component is the Open H.323 stack.

Jeremy McNamara