[Asterisk-Users] AUSTEL Certified

Wed Jul 23 06:51:34 MST 2003

> IANAL, but it is pretty clear from the regs that you can plug your phone
> line into whatever, if you get written permission from the telco.
>
> I'm yet to ask.

Hahahaha... and what response would you expect from a Telstra droid?

> There are also exceptions for mobile phones imported for personal use
> and testing equipment.

What is the definition of 'personal use'? Does it include connecting it to a
telco network or only for 'testing/building your own private one'?

> It's also unclear as to where the network boundary is for installations
> of Optus VoDSL, I'm trying to clear this up with ACA at the moment.

Could you explain to me, where, when, and how optus are actually selling
this service?

<aside>
Do I just live under a rock, and never hear of anyone selling VoDSL or VoIP
in australia? Is my dream actually true, and someone apart from Telstra
sells ISDN lines? (I have two optus analog lines, but they refuse to
acknowledge that they sell ISDN)...

> AUSTEL was the old scheme, ACA runs the show now.
>
> I think the cheapest legal way to plug asterisk in at the moment
> is to upgrade your phone line to ISDN BRI ($125 upgrade from Telstra
> at the moment) and buy a NetJet ISDN card (AU$250).  Does anyone know
> if these cards work with capi?

I can confirm that the netjet cards work reasonably well with I4L, there is
a minimum of echo when used in conjunction with the TDM400B card. I should
know, as I am using a Traverse Netjet for my incoming phone lines... The
only thing that used to work but doesn't at the moment is my callerid on
these lines. ISDN always passes callerid, but asterisk doesn't seem to
receive it anymore.

If anyone wants to call me, let me know and I can send the phone number.

Also, if anyone feels like commenting on the cost of VoIP when the consumer
is paying 11c/MB for the voice 'data' to the ISP plus say 4c/min to the
telco (US$0.02/min)...

Regards,
Adam