[Asterisk-Users] Self-testing E1 cards?

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Wed Jul 23 06:22:23 MST 2003

Hi-

I've been considering writing some self-test software for several quad-E1
cards that I've just received from Digium.

I don't have an E-1 channel bank, so this would be my way of checking that
everything hardware-wise is working fine before I head out to the dark and
cold confines of my customer's equipment room - to make everything work with
their E1's.

I was thinking of using crossover cables to connect E1 #1 to E1 #2, and also
3 to 4, and to write some simple test routines that would play DTMF's on one
channel and look for them on the other etc.  I've done this in the past with
Dialogic boards and it has helped diagnose problems before I reach the
field.  Also, in this case it would help me make sure that the Asterisk
software is set up correctly.

Has anyone done something similar, and if so, could you please share your
experience?

Thanks
Scott Stingel

Scott M. Stingel
Emerging Voice Technology Inc.
Palo Alto, California and London, England
Email:          scott at evtmedia.com