[Asterisk-Users] interfacing asterisk with a legacy PBX

Don Pobanz dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com
Tue Jul 22 05:35:32 MST 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003 5:17 AM, Dave Alan Caruana
[SMTP:david at melita.net] wrote:
> hi ..
>
> i require to interface asterisk to a 60 line analog PBX in a hotel.
> I was thinking of giving Asterisk a couple of PBX lines interfaced
> through cards, and then place outgoing calls through SIP/H323 and
> a DSL connection.
>

> analog extension lines <--> analog pbx <-->asterisk <--> SIP -->
> termination
>
> I do not need incoming calls to the lines.
>
> My question is this :
> if I take 2 of the existing analog extension lines can I interface
> these
> through Wildcard FXO cards on the Asterisk? Is the signalling
> the same?

Yes, * could interface an existing PBX through some of it's extensions.
I am doing that now with 3 extensions from our legacy PBX. The only
'problem' is that someone on the legacy PBX must dial an extension (in
our case x313, x397 or x404) and if it is busy dial another extension.
It makes it harder for the user.

Don Pobanz