[Asterisk-Users] VoIP in hotels

Jeremy McNamara jj at indie.org
Sat Jul 19 08:18:04 MST 2003

Jonathan Young wrote:

> Our company can offer VoIP to premises and domestic users and bill the
> premises as a whole. We need something to enable the hotel owner to
> bill each guest in a hotel in real time. What solutions do exist
> presently?

Asterisk can certainly do exactly what you need.

> (PS: Our radius (and every telephony equipment outside the hotel) does
> not recognise which room in the hotel initiated the international
> (VoIP) call, so that's the main problem - Only the hotel's PMS knows
> which guest phoned, so with our current setup we cannot bill the
> individual guest, but the hotel as a whole)

First drop RADIUS like a prom dress and either create or find a real
billing platform.  You simply need a however many  T400Ps and FXS
channel banks that can interface into your existing hotel room phones.
Then with a proper billing platform your system will automagicly know
exactly which FXS port made that call and would make the connection to
which room made the call all in real-time.

This is very simple, no need to over complicate the matter with a
useless technology like RADIUS.

Jeremy McNamara