[Asterisk-Users] OT: list format vs newsgroup format

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jul 18 12:50:57 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 14:48, James Taylor wrote:
> I thought this list thing died this morning.
>
> I'm a guest on this list so I'll take it any way the powers deliver
> it.
>
> Although I do prefer phpbb.
>
> And, I suppose that anyone who wants to host a phpbb could.  I don't
> have the time right now.  It's enough just to keep up with these
> emails.
>
> Bandwidth?  Steven, you must be Digium's Comptroller (or own stock in
> the company).  This is your second post about their bandwidth
> conservation in two days.  Bandwidth is cheap.

I am a customer only. Also Bandwidth isn't cheap for a business that
serves more than receives. The cheap rates are usually for async with a
larger down;pad than upload speed. To get sync up and down speeds adds
cost, and to go the opposite route is a bit more expensive.

Even if bandwidth is cheap, it is still a cost that could be put towards
an additional programmer, more hardware, or any other development
activity that also benefits us.

> They wouldn't maintain this list if it didn't generate hardware sales
> (unless this whole thing is just a hobby).

correct.