[Asterisk-Users] Silly questions due to ingrained knowledge of analog phone use.

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jul 17 15:03:32 MST 2003

VoIP works very similar to the analog component of asterisk. So with
that, lets talk about the analog side of this. First try and forget
which line a call is on. You will only use extensions from now on. For
hold, you place a call in parking, and a extension is read to you. This
extension is what you use to retrieve the call from anywhere else.

So your user experience to mimic what you are already doing is as
follows;
Call rings all phones in office.
First person to pick up gets call.
Call is determined to be for different user.
Call is parked via flash hook and dialing the parking extension.
Then user determines best method to contact you, either through calling
your extension, or paging you.
If contact is made, then you can dial the parked extension and pick up
the call.

That works for when you are available with the exception of a direct to
voicemail option, but that can be built into an extension too.

Other option is that you switch to using the IVR to help direct the user
to the right extension number, and your phone takes it from there. With
enough phone lines available, you can make use of the *72/*73 call
forwarding option so that when you want to go sit in another office for
a while, or you need the calls to go to your cell phone, the call will
go where you tell it to.