[Asterisk-Users] Silly questions due to ingrained knowledge of analog phone use.

Benjamin Long bflong at longbros.com
Thu Jul 17 12:16:10 MST 2003

Greetings all!

	I've got some really silly questions. I'm a technical guy, and I understand
how the astrisk server works and how VOIP works, etc... The problem I have is
that at my small company we have a phone system with analog lines and
everyone here is comfortable with the concept of using them. I've never seen
IP phones in action so I don't know how they work from a users point of view.

For instance, we have 10 lines here. I'd someone calls for me, the person who
answered the phone puts them on hold, intecoms me at my desk, if I'm not
there he "all pages" me (announcement via speaker on all unused phones). If
he gets ahold of me he tells me that so-and-so is on line X, and I can either
pick up line X or tell him to put him into my voice mail. How would that
sequance go if I had an astrisk PBX and IP phones everywhere? I need to wrap
my brain around the concepts of *using* IP phones before I can go and think
about setting up a system to use them.

I thank in advance anyone who can spare the time to help me understand this
better. I really love what Astrisk could do for us here, and I'm hopeing that
I can get it set up and useable without too much culture shock for the users.
Thanks again!

Benjamin Long