[Asterisk-Users] IAX pauses

The Traveller traveler at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 16 11:58:16 MST 2003

Hey Jan,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:45:13 -0700, Jan Rychter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running asterisk in the following setup
>
> Phone -> WX100USB -> * -> Internet -> * -> WX100P -> PSTN
>
> The two Asterisks talk to each other via IAX2 and use GSM for voice.
>
> This seems to work quite well except for occasional pauses in voice
> transmission. These seem to occur in _one_ direction only (when I'm on
> the phone, I can't hear the person that I called via the PSTN), last
> several seconds (as in one to five seconds) and are unrelated to network
> connectivity (a ping in another window runs just fine all the time).
>
> What could be the cause? What else could I do to help hunt down that
> bug?

I have the exact same problem over here, and it seems some others on
the list and on IRC have it as well.  I'm still using IAX1 because of it.
My setup is very similar to yours, except that I also use SIP and H.323-
phones locally, which doesn't seem to make any difference.  Both
Asterisk-boxes have Zaptel-hardware in them (which seems to make a
difference, as IAX2 uses it's timing, if available), I use GSM and
trunking is off (turning it on didn't solve this problem, though).

    Grtz,

       Oliver