[Asterisk-Users] Stream Phone Call: Sound on Consule OSS to Helix server?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jul 15 21:08:22 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 21:52, Marcus Adolfsson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project for a client of mine, that involves streaming
> an incoming phone call. I have a lot of experience with Linux, but
> something that I have never attempted is using sound under Linux, as all
> my machines have been servers.
>
> Here is the plan, is it doable?
>
> The client (a minor league baseball team) calls in to a iconnecthere.com
> phone number, and Asterisk answers (this part is accomplished). At this
> point, the sound of the incoming SIP call is made available on the
> console (how is this configured?). Helix Producer picks up the sound
> from the console (which device would it listen to) and streams out to
> the Helix server.

With as much as I like asterisk and think it is the best thing out
there, you are going the wrong way on this. Wouldn't this be a better
app to put on a cheap laptop or a decent palmtop. With a SMC firewall
that can use a modem so you can do data calls over a wireless link. This
would allow you to do the digitization and compression on site and not
loose quality in the least. You can still use a free dialup to provide
the stream out. Of course if they are willing to pay for the
iconnecthere account, they could purchase a dialup account with 800
number access so there is no configuration changes from place to place.