[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Cygwin?

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Tue Jul 15 12:06:29 MST 2003

> Hey all,
>
> quick question: does asterisk work okay in a Cygwin environment?
>
> I want to install it on my cygwin setup for local testing/demoing and
save
> me the hassle of using a pure linux machine........

I had suggested to the fellow asking about running Asterisk in VMWare
(It won't work BTW) that cygwin or mingw compilation might be possible
and , in fact, feasible to use for a small IP-only setup.

> As long as it doesn't take a huge huge performance hit from running
out of
> Cygwin, then I'll have a go there for a start

First, you won't have zaptel timings from hardware on windows, so things
like musiconhold and meetme will be out of the question. I suppose you
could write something similar to zaprtc for windows if you really felt
like squeezing your brain out your ears.

Cygwin itself won't be the problem speed wise, as it is essentially
providing native calls directly to the application, but I would suggest
a couple things:

1) Find a way to set the thread priority for the asterisk processes
high. I believe that you will probably have to write some code specific
to Cygwin to do this. Normal priority execution on Win32 will probably
not be good enough even for the transcoders and whatnot to get packets
in and out in a timely fashon.

2) Please share any experiences you have with this project. I never
intend to run asterisk on Win32 personally, but have been interested in
seeing if it's possible for fun/hack value.

John