[Asterisk-Users] Using 2 PhoneJacks with Asterisk for Data calls.

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Mon Jul 14 15:39:57 MST 2003

> Thanks for the heads-up.  Do you know of any alternatives?

There is the zaptel hardware from digium.. the TDM400P for FXS ports,
X100P for FXO, or the combination of T400P + channel banks.

> I recently posted a similair query to comp.linux.hardware relating to
> setting up a virtual telephone exchange and the result given there &
my
> own previous search results appeared to be a lot more expensive than
> that of the quicknet products (more in the $800+ range).

Zaptel has the capability to do 'clear-channel' and/or 'data-quality'
calls. See 'show application Dial' on the asterisk and have a look at
the 'd' and 'c' options that can be passed to Dial. Someone else may be
more familiar with how it works on the X100P/TDM400P hardware though as
I haven't ever tested it. It was probably designed to work with channel
banks, which is going to go over your budget if you are trying to find
something cheaper than $800.

> My main concern is compatibility & according to the asterisk docs, the
> quicknet products are and drivers are also supplied as part of the
kernel.

AFAIK, Quicknet is the only folks who use the "Linux telephony API" but
even the Quicknet products often have problems with the driver that is
distributed in the standard kernel... OpenH323 is about the only thing
that is out there that can actually interface with the stuff 100% and
Quicknet has a big hand in that project too.

John