[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and VMWare

Sunny Woo sunnywoo at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 00:54:36 MST 2003

Your machine is way underpower and underRAM, I am amazed you can even
run VMWARE and a Linux guest on it.

Have you try:
1. run VMWARE in Full screen windows.
2. is your Linux kernel SMP? (see VM knowledge base)
3. what about your Linux guest CPU usage? Swap usage? Windows might
report 5% but its what the linux guest sees that counts. VMWARE is a
very good emulation but it is still an emulation. Doing near real time
codec conversion on a AMD <1GH machine with 386MB might be too much.
4. Did you do bridge networking on the guest OS? NAT will invoke
additional performance penalty, and have a big effect on your SIP call.
5. What about the other "cards" in your system? Do they need a lot of
interrupts from the PC? Check your perfmon for interrupts per second.
CPU usage is only one piece of the pie.

Sunny Woo <sunnywoo at yahoo.com>