[Asterisk-Users] What does "callerid=" in sip.conf do?

Sat Jul 12 09:05:32 MST 2003

Hi

thanks everybody for your replies on this thread

On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 05:01 PM, The Traveller wrote:

>> since "callerid=" in sip.conf doesn't set the Caller ID, I suppose it
>> must be there for some other reason.
>>
>> Is this a not-yet-working feature for future releases of Asterisk?
>>
>> If not, what does it actually do?
>
> Works perfectly over here.  My guess is that the calls you make with
> that phone aren't coming in over the user / peer-entry you're expecting,
> for some reason.

Everybody seems to say its working for them, but have you actually set
your [phone] entries in sip.conf such that the username is different
from the caller ID?

I have come across various example configs which suggest that you define
the extension number as the username, but I don't want the username to
be tied to a particular extension. One of the merits of IP telephony is
that you get away from the static assignment of account identifier and
trunk number.

Thus, if your sip.conf looks like this ...

[phone1]
username=1001
callerid="Fred Flintstone" <1001>

then of course you'd see 1001 as caller ID.

But I did this ...

[flintstone1]
username=fredf
callerid="Fred Flintstone" <1001>

and I get "<fredf>" as callerid.

When I asked about this here earlier, someone said that Asterisk can
take the callerid from the "from" field which led me to believe that I
could fix this by doing ...

fromuser=1001

but this didn't have any effect at all. I even tried variants such as
fromuser= <1001> and "1001" and "Fred" <1001> but no luck.

any ideas how I can fix this without having to resort to setting the
usernames equal to the extension numbers?

thanks
rgds
bk