[Asterisk-Users] Channel Bank configuration

Marty Mastera marty at mastera.us
Thu Jul 10 21:12:34 MST 2003

Steven:

Thank you for your response.

I do want to continue using the Adit for the data...

In terms of routing the FXO, I would either want to route 1-10 from the
Adit to *, or 1-12 (not sure how much I would gain/lose from having the
fax and analog phone jacks direct from Adit or via *)...

For the desk phones, there are only a maximum of 6 extensions, and the
Adit is equipped with an 8 port FXS card.  So I think what you were
recommending is routing 1-10 from Adit to *, then map the 6 extensions
back from * to the Adit FXS card?

The Adit is provider owned and on their side of the dmark (as far as I
know), so I realize that I would not be able to configure it in this case
and would have to have them do it.

Do this sound accurate?

Thank you,

Marty

On 10 Jul 2003 20:58:13 -0500 Steven Critchfield wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 18:33, Marty Mastera wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I don't have any experience with channel banks and would appreciate any
> > feedback on my theory outlined below:
> >
> > We have a single T1 entering the building with channels 1-12 being voice
> > lines and 13-24 being a 768k internet connection.  This T1 terminates to
> > an Adit 600 (T1-1).
> >
> > Here's what I know.  Channels 11-12 go out the Adit 600's 25-pair
> > connector to a wiring block (and eventually to 2 fax machines - I assume
> > this is to have the fax machines bypass the currently installed phone
> > switch).  The data comes out the Router card on the Adit and into
> our network.
> >
> > The currently installed phone system is an NEC NEAX2000 IVS box which is
> > connected by CAT5 to the Adit 600's T1-2 port.  (I am assuming that
> voice
> > channels 1-10 are mapped to the Adit T1-2 and getting to the NEC this
> > way....There is also a 25 pair cable leaving the NEC and
> terminating on a
> > wiring block for the desk phones.
> >
> > So my assumption is that channels 1-10 are mapped as FXO onto the Adit's
> > 2nd T1 port, channels 11-12 to the Adit's 25-pair connector and 13-24 to
> > the router card for data.
> >
> > This leaves the NEC box to handle the FXS (and hence why it is directly
> > connected to the phones).
> >
> > When I replace the NEC box with an * box/T100P, I'm thinking that I will
> > have to map Channels 1-12 to the T1-2 port and map the 8 Adit FXS
> > channels on the T1-2 port to the Adit's 25-pair for the Adit's FXS
> > capability....then run that T1 into the T100P and configure * to route
> > between the FXO and FXS channels appropriately.
> >
> > Does this sound right?  I'm trying to understand if the channel
> bank uses
> > the T1 from the Adit for both FXO and FXS channels!
>

> This depends on what you are allowed to do and what you wish to
> accomplish.
> First: Who owns the ADIT?
> a. If it is your telco, then you need to find out where they think the
> dmark is. Basically you need to know if you can configure the ADIT.
>
> b. If you own the ADIT, then you can proceed.
>
> Second: You need to think about what you want do with it. Linux with a
> T100P can be your router, and therefore you can take the T1 from the
> wall and plug it straight into the T100P and configure linux to be your
> router. Then you need to bring your lines back out to go to phones. How
> many extension phones do you need to use, and how many FXS ports do you
> have on the ADIT? You mentioned only dropping 2 lines out of the ADIT
> currently, and you mentioned 8 FXS channels. Sounds like you will
> probably need more FXS cards.
>
> The downside of using linux to be your router is that you will need a
> second T100P or a T400P card to have enough channels to get stuff done.
> If you want to continue using the ADIT router, then you can route the 10
> [...]

Jumping through hoops to get E-mail on the road?
You've got two choices: Join the circus, or use Molly Mail.

Molly Mail -- http://www.mollymail.com
Having trouble sending email from different locations ?
Need a single outgoing mail server that will work from anywhere ?

Set it to smtp.com and never have to change it again !

http://www.smtp.com