[Asterisk-Users] Virtual fax on the Asterisk box

Dan dtoma at fx.ro
Mon Jul 7 23:24:36 MST 2003

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your detailed answer.

> I doubt anything is available (yet) that speaks iax/iax2, but
> sip or h.323 should be supported.  Just make sure it can take
> a g.711 call and act like a fax machine; and take a bitmap
> and generate a g.711 call to send that document.
>
> If all you can find is a g.711 to t.38 solution, openh323 has
> support for t.38 to eg hylafax.  A bit of a rube-goldberg,
> but it ought to work.

I think to a SIP or IAX user agent ( I don't want to use H.323) with only
G.711 support and able to emulate a virtual modem who then be used by a
standard FAX application (Linux or Windows based)

> The biggest issue with these kinds of setups is latency.
> The fax protocols, as you can imagine, have latency
> requriements that are more stringent than voice calls.
I need it only on the LAN, with a PSTN connection through a X100P card, so
latency must not be an issue.

BR,
Dan