[Asterisk-Users] Network design question

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jul 7 11:06:19 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 12:33, Asterisk wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My business is a wireless ISP.  I would like to offer voice to several
> business customers.  I have a * server, but still need some hardware cards
> for it.
> I would like to provide individualized billing to these customers for their
> usage.  Most of these customers have Nortel PBX's.   Could I use a Cisco
> ATA  or a similar manufacturer to provide 1-2 line service?  I would like
> to get this set up correctly the first time.  What would you suggest or has
> someone already done this that could explain better?

Since an ata can only do compression on one phone line at a time,
consider it to be nothing more than a single line device if bandwidth is
of concern. Also notice the various problems with SIP that crop up from
time to time. It is actually more useful to use IAX and a small PC with
TDM cards than an ATA.

As for the billing, you can track individual users of IAX in the CDR and
can easily use it this way for your billing.