[Asterisk-Users] IAX Bandwidth Question

WipeOut . wipeout at linuxmail.org
Mon Jul 7 05:14:29 MST 2003

I have 2 asterisk systems connected by a 56kbps internet dialup (so at best 33.6k in both directions) using IAX and GSM...

The one * box is at my home and the other is in the office (before anyone freaks this is a test environment)... Provided nothing is using the line at the same time I am able to carry 1 voice call over the dialup link with no real latency.. Ping times when no call is in session are about 165-175ms and when a call is active 190-240ms.. I just ran a call for 5 mins to see if the ping time climbed as you are experiencing and it didn't increase at all..

So you may have some other issue causing the increase in ping times..

Sorry I probably wasn't much help..

> Hi,
>
> I am using IAX to communicate between 2 sites, each site is using a 256k/64k ADSL Connection.
>

> I have noticed that when I connect my ping time to my 1st hop jumps from 30~ms to over 12,000ms in over a period of about 10 minutes, it just keeps climbing until the link is saturated.
>
> Naturally, there is a very long delay when speaking.
>
> What bandwidth would be adequate for IAX? or how can I tune my config to work better with my current bandwidth situation.
> I am using GSM codec and bandwidth=low in iax.conf
>
> Thanks in advance.

Jay.