[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Sacrifice?

Fri Jul 4 14:09:46 MST 2003

Dear Steven,

thanks for your reply

On Saturday, July 5, 2003, at 12:14 AM, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 07:23, BK [address only for mailing lists] wrote:
>
>> is there any ritual sacrifice a newbie has to perform to be welcome on
>> this list?
>
> Do not sacrafice your patience on this list. You email complaining of
> not being answered after only 30 hours that is leading into a holiday
> weekend for a large portion of the people who do the answering here.

Oh dear, perhaps I should have included warning tags like

<UK sarcasm> .... </UK sarcasm>

;-)

but seriously, I am sorry if my post offended you. please accept my
apologies.

I would like to comment though that this wasn't the only post of mine to
this list which did not receive any response at all, while others who
seemed to ask more difficult questions did get responses right away, so
I was starting to wonder if I needed to formally introduce myself or
something ;-)

> Please remember that in the case of a purely VoIP asterisk setup, no one
> on this list gets paid to support you. Only if you are buying Zapata
> hardware do the Digium folks get paid for the support, and they even
> provide you with a preferential way of contacting them for it.

I did indeed purchase a couple of interface boards from Digium and I am
very grateful for the impeccable support they have provided, such as
logging in to our Asterisk box, recompile Asterisk and configure a basic
setup so we could test the Zapata hardware.

After all they have done, it wouldn't seem appropriate to ask them to
also set up the VoIP related stuff for me because it doesn't have
anything to do with the hardware I ordered from them.

Then again, I have to start somewhere and learn how to do these things
myself, in particular as I will be passing on what I learn to others.
Asking on the list did not occur to me as demanding support.

>  So be
> careful to not seem like you are demanding support from a group of
> volunteers that are either taking time out of their personal life, or
> out of their work schedule to answer these questions.

In fact if you look at the way I asked my questions, you will find that
there is no such notion. You will find that I have made an effort on my
own first to figure out what to do and the questions I ask are very
specific to parts that are unclear to me, such as "what does the /nnnn
in register do? etc"

I did not come here to say "I have this and that, this is my provider,
username etc, please provide me with a custom configuration file that
allows me to do xyz". I have seen some posts here that had the air of
asking along such lines, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if such a
post was met with silence. However, I don't believe that my post falls
into this category.

> BTW, whats up with your timezone. It shows +9 on your mail, but you are
> using a yahoo.co.uk address.

Never mind. The time zone is correct. You may want to show all headers
on my message and take a look at where  it originates from ;-) UK is
home base though.

And don't get confused if my time zone is going to change to +11 some
time, because we'll be building another Asterisk box in OZ when this one
over here is done ;-)

kind regards
bk