[Asterisk-Users] Need a recommendation on a good motherboard/processor combination

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jul 3 10:51:38 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 12:35, Brancaleoni Matteo wrote:
> from my little experiences, use mb with less onboard stuff
> as possible...
> video+lan is ok.
> unfortunately all have usb, try to keep usb controllers
> minimum as possible.
>
> I've used asus mb with ide+sata+audio+6usb+video+eth
> and were pretty unstable. (even if devices are
> disabled from bios)
> With minimum on board stuff, you're set.

Asus is normally a good MB. I think you may have been bit by a too new
and untested chipset.

In general if you look at the Serverworks chipset based MBs you will be
doing well. So far I know the SuperMicro and Dell use them on server
MBs, but am not aware of any others. I know that Vanderbilt University
decided on SuperMicro machines for their cluster setup because of the
ServerWorks chipset being able to push the more data through the PCI bus
than any other chipset. They needed it to fill the Myrinet boards and
the drives.

Just remember good usually adds $$$.