[Asterisk-Users] ActionTec with Asterisk

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Tue Feb 25 23:31:33 MST 2003

> I'm in touch with their business development team, hoping to explain to
> them why it would make sense for them either release specs or create an
> open source c toolkit.
>
> Will report back.  If they do, maybe we could create a sourceforge
> project for this.  Maybe if they don't as well, we can try to reverse
> engineer this thing.  At $40, its a nice cheap way to do this.

It certainly is cheap.  However, it is my understanding that their card
does not support the ability to ring the phone (i don't know this for a
fact though).  If so, this would disqualify it from being a general
purpose FXS interface.

> I know they have an API, because both Deltrathree and Net2Phone have
> their software setup to take full advantage of the box's features.
>
> Does Digium plan on offering the S100U as an individual project? And if
> so, any estimate on the price?  If so, that would make this a moot
> point.

Yes, we do offer the S100U as an individual item (I believe it is $99
list).  However, we don't encourage it because of the problems that people
often have with USB.  The more attractive option will likely be our PCI
station card which (with a single port) will have a projected $125 price
tag (additional ports will be $60/port when purchased at the same time, up
to a total of four FXS interfaces on the PCI card for $305 total).  This
certainly isn't as cheap as the $40 Actiontec interface, but it will be
fully supported by Digium, and of course proceeds will support further
development of Asterisk.  The station card is currently in production and
is expected in March.  Greg (gvance at digium.com) can be your contact if
you're interested in them.  I believe he is keeping a list of people to
inform when they come in from manufacturing.

Mark