[Asterisk-Users] Vonage

William X Walsh william at wxw.org
Mon Feb 24 19:22:26 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 17:46, Jon Pounder wrote:
> What would you think if I sold you a screw and told you, you could only hit
> it with a hammer unless you bought the screwdriver licence ?
>
> You would think I am an idiot and use the screwdriver anyway. Same thing
> here. A feature restricting licence for hardware is a moronic concept.

It's not the hardware, its the software.  Presumably, if someone made
their own SIP stack for the ATA186, you could load it without needing
the Cisco license.  Of course, that's not an easy matter to do  :)

Without the software, the Cisco is just hardware.  The software license
makes your use of the software legal.

Again, the licensing of the Vonage in a Box included ATA186 is something
each person has to decide for themselves.    I'm just putting the facts
out there, because they should be known.  What you do once you know is
entirely on you.

--
William Walsh <william at wxw.org>
Jabber: william at wxw.biz