[Asterisk-Users] USB channel bank?

Rob Scott voip at uk2.net
Thu Feb 20 07:54:07 MST 2003

In what way is USB unreliable?
Is USB in general unreliable?
(I haven't used it much except for my mouse and the USB floppy.)
Or is it workstation/server chipsets?
Is it the handset adapter?
Is it the zaptel drivers?

Potentially it could be a lot cheaper than many of the other solutions
offered.
If these things costs $50 per port (I would expect a lot less in bulk as
they have only one or two small cheap chips on them) then a 10 channel
offering would be in the $500-600 dollars range or so. You'd need a
case, maybe an internal hub and probably some power.
If you need more channels then plug another box of 10 into another USB
port.

The problem I see with the PCI cards is that they are either cheap low
density and you run out of PCI slots quickly, or they are high density
and you run out of money quickly.