[Asterisk-Users] Re: wishlist SMS center

Abdullah KOR abdullah.kor at birtel.com.tr
Tue Feb 18 03:41:06 MST 2003

Hello ;

Looking at the messages , I saw Diana's wish . If I don't misunderstand ;
this app . is called fixed line SMS and is a service of some telcos around
the world like Deutsche ,Viking ,Austria and some Far Eastern telcos .
Some telcos are testing this system already . This system is 2 phase:

Ph 1 - NO FIXED LINE SMS SET
The mobile subscriber types the SMS normally and sends it to the fixed
line analog subscriber phone number he wants to send . The system does
call the fixed line subscriber phone number and reads the message with TTS
. If the subscriber wants to reply he can send a voice reply to the mobile
phone subscriber.

--- My addon : Here a verifying system can be inserted like entering a
password for eliminating all the members of the family to hear someone's
special message .

Ph 2- WITH FIXED LINE SMS SET

In this phase there are some sets [from Ascom , Siemens , Viking] which
enable the fixed line subscribers to type messages on the LCD screen and
send them to fixed line or mobile phone subscriber . And also he/she can
read the SMS which comes to this set for the LCD screen .

NOW HOW CAN WE DO THIS WITH ASTERISK ?

Asterisk has already built in capability to detect FSK . This is used in
Caller ID  .This SMS system also does use FSK for sending these messages
like 2 times DTMF 2 means B or 3 times DTMF 3 means F . I and my friend
are  interested in doing this with Asterisk and the E1 boards
[E100P-E400P] which we have in hand . We have some  comments and
unanswered questions about doing these . Anybody interested in this ?
Maybe we can share the code developing process .  Please send an e-mail to
me or write here .

Regards ;

Abdullah KOR
Computer Telephony Department