[Asterisk-Users] Multi-line, multi-registration phones

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Dec 30 14:18:47 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 14:29, Sean Garland wrote:
> I have hard phones that are capable of handling three calls at once.
> That is setup (apparently) through multiple registrations.  My
> question is has anyone done this and what is the proper way of doing
> it?  Do I have to setup (for 2 phones that have three lines) 6
> sections in my sip.conf and setup 6 extensions to handle the
> registrations?
>
> Also, if I found by searching the web sample code for making both sip
> extensions ring when a call comes in, but what if I had 100
> extensions?  Seems like the string would get pretty long, is there a
> way to put all extensions in a single group and ring the group?
>
> All kinda is the same question.  But thanks for the answer anyway…

This is where variables come in handy, and also macros. For example, I
just put several new variables into my extensions.conf file to deal with
the changing nature of our dialplan. I defined a variable for each user
that we have, and I created a ALL variable that strings all the users
together. You could also make variables for all the users in certain
departments, and then your ALL variable could then just include your
department variables.

The benefit of the variables is just that you can change it in one
location and it ripples through all the other definitions.

As for the multiple call appearances in SIP, I don't know how to deal
with that.