[Asterisk-Users] Backup Proxy & Automatic Failover

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Dec 30 11:49:51 MST 2003

Hi,

I read in the Asterisk Whitepaper, that you can run two cloned servers,
one as a primary, one as a backup, and have them automatically failover
to the other unit when it crashes, or when you need to restart it. The
primary application of course, would be ensuring calls can be made when
frequent updates are being handled, or when an update must be restarted
on a busy network.

The term TDM is banded around too, but from my knowledge, TDM is
trunking (probably some clever acronym relating to trunking), and in
Asterisk's case, using the IAX protocol. This leads me to the big
question;

Is there anyway of shifting the load of one Asterisk server to another
without breaking or loosing a call?

I know that with Survivable Routing (Cisco's big on this), the ISDN
interface is actually a router; so the Proxy is just used to decide the
destination and LCR functions, and then hands off to a router. This of
course, if a Proxy went down, would just prevent new calls from being
made, whilst existing calls can continue merrily - until someone
switches the Router off, or corrupts the IOS settings :-)

At least with Routers, you can configure them to load manager
effectively, but how do you backup and load manage Asterisk??

I using SIP, and will be using a bit of SCCP too, so any suggestions
would be most grateful!!

Regards,
Ad.