[Asterisk-Users] DID trunks -- equipment requirement

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Dec 28 18:53:33 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 17:52, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:
> <quote who="Josh Rollyson">
> > I'd look into ISDN, both PRI and BRI. If the costs are not too
> > prohibitive, this would be the most flexable option. ISDN uses out of
> > band signaling and has a number of features which complement a DID
> > enviroment, such as DNIS (dialed number information service), where the
> > number dialed is passed along with an incoming call. If your enviroment
> > never uses all its outside lines at the same time, this can be cost
> > effective, because you can have direct dial numbers for all the phones
> > without a one to one correspondance of outside lines to extensions. PRI
> > is usually too expensive, but sometimes BRI is affordable, however you
> > should check on pricing for both to see if they may be cost effective.
>
> I wish SBC would offer DID via BRI.  DID is only available via PRI or
> individule analog trunks.

DID is the wrong name for ISDN. On BRI I think you want to ask for
multiple MSN with rollover. This may be the time where you start asking
around the CLECs to see what they call the features in your area. Oddly
enough on the few circuits I have been part of the ordering process, it
took a while before the sales man, the tech, and myself found a common
language to define what was available and what we wanted.

It may also be a good idea to contact your PSC if you are told you can't
get what you want. If your PSC is worth anything, they will be able to
point you in a decent direction, or put pressure on SBC to provide you
what you want.