[Asterisk-Users] specify maximum call duration

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Dec 28 18:42:51 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 17:30, Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Hehe... read the question again before jumping on a new user - the answer
> > > to the "peer" part of it is  "No" instead "AbsoluteTimeout". ;->
> >
> > It would be possible since you could select a callerid string for the
> > peer in it's definition, and then do a match on it. It takes just a hair
> > more thinking about the problem.
>
> For the sake of discussion: What if the peer is a * connected through
> IAX, and the user wants to dial an extension on that * box? As of now you
> need to specify AbsoluteTimeout for each extension or macro... this can
> be very tedious depening on the layout of your dialplan.

To quote you, "read the question again..." Specifically it is max call
duration for a _PEER_ or _EXTENSION_. On a per extension basis, this is
no more tedious than the initial setup. On a per peer basis, well that
is just a matter of setting it on the initial allowed context they are
allowed in. It would have to be defined somewhere, and isn't any more
tedious than any other method of definition.

For your extended part of the original question.
[incoming]
exten => _.*,1,answer
;exten => _.*,2,agi(timeout-lookup.agi) ; alternative
exten => _.*/some match,2,Absolutetimeout(360)
exten => _.*,2,noop
exten => _.*,3,goto(realcontext,${EXTEN},1)

Does this look hard or tedious?

> I _do_ think it would make sense to be able to define such a timeout for
> a specific peer, or even as a global varaible valid for the entire *
> server.

Maybe you don't yet grasp how easy things can already be done. Only
thing I think might be nice, but I don't really see a use for yet would
be a method to define extra variables on any of the VoIP user
definitions.