[Asterisk-Users] SHARING DIGITAL CONTENT

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Dec 28 11:18:03 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 11:55, Charles Hatchette wrote:
> I am in a development cycle for a telephony service based on Asterisk, and a
> question has occurred to me: What about sharing/transmitting digital
> content? Would it be possible, for example, to share a photo in a conference
> call between the newer digital cell phones (which have integrated cameras)?
> Is this just passing data through the channel, or are there significant
> technical obstacles? This capability will become useful in the
> not-so-distant future, and a PBX exhibiting this feature would obsolete many
> current systems.

Cell phones share pictures via MMS. MMS is like SMS, and is not call
based. It is just a messaging protocol. So the only thing you could do
with the meetme app that might help send the pictures is collect the
callerid from the users and provide that to a parallel app that dealt
with the sending.

If you use VoIP,  H323 and IAX support pictures and video. While I have
heard of a VoIP app for my cell phone, the data costs would be way to
high to use it instead of a normal call.