[Asterisk-Users] clicking and popping using T100P resolved

Thomas B. Clark digium at clark.durham.nc.us
Fri Dec 26 18:50:09 MST 2003

I have been struggling for weeks to figure out why I would get clicking
and popping with my T100P card used with a TA750 channel bank.  It was
most obvious during dial tone or other sustained tones, but could also
be detected during conversation.  For the most part, it was one little
click or pop every 3 or 4 seconds, but could be more prolonged.  The
most annoying thing was that, if a click happened during a DTMF tone, it
would be interpreted as two digits rather than one.

My machine is plenty fast, with a 2.8 ghz hyperthreading processor and 1
GB of RAM, and there was never any signifcant load.  I even tried
terminating all user space programs, running basically only the kernel
and asterisk, but it made no difference.

I finally figured out that the clicking was due to software raid.  I
have bought a 3ware hardware raid card and converted all of the
filesystems.  And no more clicking and popping.  So beware of trying to
use asterisk with software raid.

I am not looking for comments.  I am posting this so that it gets
archived, in the hope that it will save somebody else some time.