[Asterisk-Users] Re: Sip phones on the same extension?

Brian Buhrow buhrow at lothlorien.nfbcal.org
Thu Dec 25 12:14:51 MST 2003

	Hello.  I think I understand your suggestion, but don't understand how
that's any different than the one I came up with.  What I want, is to be
able to define a specific extension, and then have any external SIP phones
register with that extension that want to.  It's important that multiple
phones be able to register with the same extension simultaneously.  Then, I
can define something like:

exten => 300,1,Dial(SIP/300,15|t)

and all phones registered to extension SIP/300 will ring.
The number of phones existing on that extension at any given time is
unknown, and Asterisk should be able to keep a list of all devices which are
currently registered on a given extension, even if it has seen another
device register to the same extension.  To guard against number stealing,
one could restrict the registration of a given phone number to a single
password, but allow that password to be used as often and from where ever.
	So, for example, if my extension is 300, and my password is
"JustForFun", I should be able to program any number of SIP phones to
register as extension 300, and as long as they know the magic password,
"JustForFun", Asterisk will permit all of them to register as SIP/300.
Then, if someone calls 300, they'll all ring simultaneously, and which ever
phone gets picked up first, gets the call.
	This doesn't appear to be how Asterisk works at the moment.  Am I
wrong about this?

-Brian

Message: 9