[Asterisk-Users] OT: SIP vs. Skinny protocol

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Wed Dec 24 12:10:08 MST 2003

Skinny phone functionality is 'richer' than SIP phone functionality.  First
off, on a skinny phone, in hands free mode, you can start dialling and the
phone will automatically go off hook.  Sip requires you to manually hit the
speaker button, hit new call, or pickup the phone before dialling.  (One
extra confusing key stroke I have a hard time getting over).

I don't think SIP will work with the expansion modules on a 7960.

Those are a few things I've found.

On Asterisk there is a chan_skinny and a chan_sccp available for skinny
based phones.  Perhaps as more Cisco phones get used with *, more features
will get implemented so they respond in a fashion very similar to a
Callmanager installation.  Maybe Cisco is already doing that in their labs?
That would be cool.

Ray Burkholder
ray at oneunified.net
http://www.oneunified.net