[Asterisk-Users] Headless Linux system for Asterisk

David T Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Thu Dec 18 15:29:08 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 17:02, Michael Welter wrote:
> Because of space limitations and because of the location of the
> punch-down blocks, my * server is located on the shelf in a coat closet.
>   Sadly, there is not enough space (or ventilation) for the monitor and
> keyboard.  This will all change when we move to new quarters, but...
>
> Does anyone have experience running Linux/Asterisk without a monitor?
> What, if any, are the issues?
>
> TIA

Run using a serial console
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/).  No monitor,
VGA adapter, keyboard etc needed.  Use SSH to log into the asterisk box
for any maintenance, etc.  If the box gets hosed, connect the serial
port to a working PC and fire up minicom and your all set.  You'll find
this type of setup quite often in data center environments.