[Asterisk-Users] 128 kbs satelite link

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Dec 18 08:15:49 MST 2003

At 10:46 AM -0800 12/17/03, Paul Mahler wrote:

>While this thread is already in the archives, I'll throw my opinion on the
>table, too.
>
>The latency is about .25 seconds to and .25 seconds from the satellite.
>There is additional propagation delay in the system. Also, TCP/IP relies on
>propagation delay to optimize traffic, but doesn't handle delays this long
>well. There is special purpose hardware available the sends the traffic to
>an from the satellite with a different protocol. This helps the satellite
>calls quite a bit.
>
>http://www.mentat.com/skyx/skyx-whitepaper.html
>
>John Todd reamed me out the last time I suggested that you need this
>hardware, he says he has voice working fine over a satellite link. And he
>knows what he's talking about. I thought I would save him some time, this
>time, by putting this in. ;-)

Again, for the archives, I'll comment on why this hardware/software
probably isn't useful for VoIP.  :-)

All of the satellite accelerators are based on TCP spoofing, which
ACK's TCP packets before the other side actually sends the ACK.  This
keeps things flowing faster because it "breaks" the way TCP
functions.  Since VoIP is almost always UDP, this doesn't do any
good.  Plus, since VoIP is real-time human-perceived communication,
you can't make it any faster than it currently is - the speed of
radio waves in a vacuum (and a short duration in the "slower"
atmosphere) is fixed.  Geosync satellites are ~22,000 miles away -
there is no speeding up that process or predicting what is being said
before it's actually said.

I have used SIP RTP over satellite, and while the delay is
uncomfortable it is workable if that is the only method to get to the
endpoint at a reasonable cost.  As previously noted, discomfort is a
function of cost; the more expensive the transport, the less
discomfort one is willing to suffer through.

Quality of sound in UDP-based VoIP services are 100% a function of
available bandwidth, and not a function of delay, though with IAX2 I
can't say if that's the case or not since I am unaware of how it
handles unreasonable duration between frames of send/receive.  The
trunking features of IAX2 may help tremendously in saving
transmission bandwidth, though - the removal of the IP overhead from
subsequent sessions (after the first one) is a huge savings over SIP
or H.323, so you should be able to get much more out of your very
expensive bitstream than you would ordinarily be able to get with
other VoIP protocols, so from that perspective (to the original
poster or anyone else with IAX2 over satellite transport) please let
us know how you make out with testing.

PS: To answer the original question, the _theoretical_ maximum for
channels through 128kbps is 18 calls with LPC10, based on my codec
comparisons (see the archives) with IAX2.  LPC10 sucks, and adding a
satellite delay would make it infuriating for anyone except the most
hardened cheapskate.  A more reasonable codec would be G.729, at a
theoretical maximum of 11 calls, but you'd probably really only get 8
or 9 without starting to get loss or buffer issues.

JT