[Asterisk-Users] 128 kbs satelite link

Paul Mahler pmahler at signate.com
Wed Dec 17 11:46:59 MST 2003

While this thread is already in the archives, I'll throw my opinion on the
table, too.

The latency is about .25 seconds to and .25 seconds from the satellite.
There is additional propagation delay in the system. Also, TCP/IP relies on
propagation delay to optimize traffic, but doesn't handle delays this long
well. There is special purpose hardware available the sends the traffic to
an from the satellite with a different protocol. This helps the satellite
calls quite a bit.

http://www.mentat.com/skyx/skyx-whitepaper.html

John Todd reamed me out the last time I suggested that you need this
hardware, he says he has voice working fine over a satellite link. And he
knows what he's talking about. I thought I would save him some time, this
time, by putting this in. ;-)

There is, of course, also the problem of the upload speed. The consumer
grade satellites don't offer much upstream bandwidth. You can get better
upload speed from some of the commercial satellite carriers.

http://www.tachyon.net/

Paul

Paul Mahler
mail:pmahler at signate.com