[Asterisk-Users] VoIP Dropouts

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed Dec 17 13:54:11 MST 2003

I have a problem with dropouts on our VoIP calls.  I have tried two
different carriers, both with the similar results, although with one of
them, the dropouts appear to be of shorter duration.  Both the frequency
and duration of the dropouts vary with time of day, pointing an internet
traffic density as the root cause. Our local network is all 100BaseT
with a Gigabit backbone and Gigabit access to the public internet.

I am hoping that some of you might have some suggestions about the
feasibility of RTP packet routing prioritization and its implementation,
both on our local network and over the public internet, since
traceroutes indicate significant delays from time to time at all points
along the routing path.

This is the last hurdle to getting our phone service quality up to land
line quality.

Stephen R. Besch