[Asterisk-Users] Norstar MICS

Don Pobanz dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com
Mon Dec 15 12:04:58 MST 2003

On Monday, December 15, 2003 10:10 AM, David Gomillion
[SMTP:dgomillion at eyecarenow.com] wrote:
> The Asterisk system will be used to replace a Norstar MICS.  The
> location has two PRI's coming in, with a few hundred DIDs.  I know
> how
> to make * use the DIDs incoming, and I know how Nortel uses the DIDs.
> Now for the question: I wish to put * between the telco and the
> Nortel
> PBX.  How do I set up dialing out a PRI from * to the Nortel and
> sending
> the 4 digits so that the legacy phone system knows which extension to
> route the call to?
>
> Am I thinking about this wrong?  It seems to me that I need to buy a
> 4-port T1 card, take in the 2 PRIs on two of the ports, do the *
> magic,
> and output 2 PRIs on the other 2 ports, thereby connecting the Nortel
> and * and the P$TN.  Has anyone actually done this?

yes it can work to have your 2 PRI's from the telco terminate to * and
then have 2 more PRI's from * to your Nortel PBX. I have not done this
with PRIs, but have with DID/DOD trunks on a T1 from our local phone
company and then used analog 'trunks' between * and our IBM Rolm PBX.

You will need to set up your channels in the proper context. You can
then determine digits to send in your dial plan in the extensions.conf
file.

Don Pobanz