[Asterisk-Users] Re: FAX, IAX and *....Maybe I'm dreaming...:-) (Carl Youngblood)

ProvoCityPower jwilson at provocitypower.com
Sun Dec 14 22:07:33 MST 2003

Carl Wrote:

>Hi Jeff,
>I live in Provo and I think I understand the application you're
>referring to.  Some folks in my neighborhood have been getting to be the
>beta testers for these cool new fiber links that the city is supposed to
>be laying out.  If I only lived a few blocks over, I would be able to
>get one too.  Darn.  Anyway, I've been following this thread, and I'm
>wondering if an alternative might be to provide some sort of fax jack on
>the hardware you provide the customer that your network could notice and
>then treat differently from regular voice data?

>An even better alternative would be if asterisk could recognize a fax
>machine on the end of the line and use a different protocol or codec
>that would work with faxes. It sounds like some of the contributors to
>this thread were saying this is possible.  But I'm not sure--I'm pretty
>new to asterisk and VoIP in general, so I could be wrong.

>Carl

Good thoughts Carl. The device we are currently using has 2 analog (POTS) ports that carry traffic that is converted to IP as well as 8 10/100 ports and a 100MB fiber uplink. It may be possible to treat one of the analog ports differently and use the proper codec for that traffic. We have other alternatives for fax traffic, but not associated with *. I am really hoping * can play a role in our project. The citywide expansion of the project looks more imminent and promising than ever.
Again, I apologize for subverting the original intent of this thread.

Thanks,
Jeff