[Asterisk-Users] FAX, IAX and *....Maybe I'm dreaming...:-)

ProvoCityPower jwilson at provocitypower.com
Sun Dec 14 19:57:47 MST 2003

>Did DVD players have to accommodate VHS tapes? Did VHS players have to
>accept beta?

>Why does VoIP have to deal with an accent protocol that can't handle
>lossy audio, nor irregular delays?

>Also why should we be soo wasteful when fax machines need a 80K codec to
>get the data across IP, and the faster machines I see say 15 secs per
>page. So why should we send 1.2meg when 150k is fine?

>Also who says Fax should ever be required on IP? My office has been
>using VoIP for all voice traffic for over a year now, but always left
>the fax machine on a analog line. The analog line was cheap enough to
>not be a concern.
>--
>Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>

I'm fairly new here and don't mean to be contentious. We all have different perspectives as to what VOIP should be. My goal is to replace analog lines, not supplement them. I'm talking residential installations. I don't think I can ask these folks to leave their fax on an anolog line? I think that if we start deciding things for the Customer, then VOIP will be seen as an elitist toy for digitally inclined, instead of an acceptable alternative for the masses.
No offense to the anti-fax coalition.
Jeff