[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk in a Centrex environment?

Darren McIntosh dmcintosh at optushome.com.au
Thu Dec 11 18:10:13 MST 2003

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:18:53 -0500
> From: Peter Pauly <ppp at freeshell.org>
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk in a Centrex environment?
>
> Does anyone know what would be involved in making
> Asterisk work as a voicemail system in a Centrex
> environment?  We have a Centrigram voicemail system
> that belongs in the Smithsonian. There are analog
> lines coming into the box and a 56KB data feed from
> the phone company's switch.
>
> Peter

Asterisk would need to be able to set the message waiting indicator. This is
often done over the SimpleMessageDeskInterface (that could be the 56k link)
I found this link in the archives
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2003-June/000884.html SMDI
has been mentioned as something good to have. SMDI has a lot of other
functionality, but for message waiting there are two directives required:
Set message waiting on :- "OP:MWI {dn}! EOT"
Set message waiting off:- "RMV:MWI {dn}! EOT"
These messages are usually sent via serial port or ascii tcp connection. The
method of message waiting (lamp, stutter tone etc) is implemented on the
switch.

An analog system would also need to understand the other parts of SMDI that
identify the forwarded party, I'm not too familiar with those. Better if you
could do PRI...

darren