[Asterisk-Users] Computing horsepower needed

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Dec 10 19:55:38 MST 2003

> I really have to agree with Rich. I am a newbie. I have been reading the
> lists and watching the IRC and doing what I can to learn.

I have no problem with that.

> The general feel that I get is a feeling of intolerance for people
> trying to learn and understand. Is it intentional? Do the people in the
> know not want anyone else to be part of a great app? Just wondering.
> Please try to have some consideration for everyone and follow Rich's
> suggestion, " If you don't like the questions, delete it and stop
> cluttering the list."

What it seems to be is that the newbies seem to dislike searching the list
before asking questions and the repeated questions that really have zero
bearing on the actual application.

I mean honestly why do people constantly ask what the bare effing minimum
system they can get away with is?  I am not very experienced with * but
that wasn't one of my first questions.  I grabbed a system and tried it.  I
didn't purposely select the 80386DX/33 in my basement.  I tried it on my
current system and went "wow this is pretty damned cool!"  I then wondered
if I could get away with it on a lessor system.  I had a P200MMX lying
around so I tried it.  It seemed to work but ilbc was too CPU hungry.

I'm not saying my way is the only way to do things.  I am saying that the
archives are available and the IRC channel is always around and busy (and
anyone who's on there will know I'm pretty helpful there) -- perhaps it's
just once in a while the people who are hanging around on the list and IRC
get a little fed up with the same nonsensical questions and snap a little.

Honestly -- if you're that thin-skinned go buy a PBX or buy commercial
support for * and be done with it.  The lists and IRC are kind of
self-serve.  It's the same with every open-source project, IMO.

I don't buy it for a second that the people asking what the minimum
requirements are were doing it for experimentation or purchasing; they were
wondering if their old ancient systems gathering dust would be useful, and
then they'd come back in a few days complaining that the systems were
hanging, voice was choppy, they couldn't get the cards on separate IRQs and
the host of other problems that invariably come with trying to cheap out on
a project.  And then Asterisk still ends up with a black eye because "it
sucks."  I've been there and seen it enough times to be able to see the
pattern emerging.

Just the same -- if my posts annoy you, delete them and stop cluttering the
list.  It works both ways.

> I will continue to and use and learn because I think it is a great app.

Thank you.  And honestly, welcome.  I will put something about minimum
system requirements on the wiki.  They'll be a little conservative but at
least it has a better chance at bettering the community and reducing these
kinds of questions on the list.

Can we put this discussion down now, please?

Regards,
Andrew