[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Asterisk servers sharing/propagating registry ?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 09:40:36 MST 2003

It would be a major change to the code but I think what you'd
want to do is have the Asterisk server store _all_ of it's information
in something like a database, The dail plan, SIP registrations,
everything would have to go there.  Once you've done that any
number of Asterisk servers could share the same database and there
are methods of running mirrored databases already.

When I worked at a dot.com we had a design requirement that I
should be able to go into the server room and pull any of the AC
power cords and the users should not be able to know.  About the
_only_ way to do this is with "load balancing".  Fail over does
not work so transparently.

With SIP or other VOIP phones there is a chance of doing a kind of
load ballance but with an analog phone wired to a channle bank, if
the CB smokes....

Good News: as far as I can tell Asterisk already does keep much
of it's data in a Barcley style "DB" does it not?  If so Asterisk
is 3/4 the way there.

But I think the market for this is someone with 5000 extensions
who needs "five nines" of reliability and Asterisk has other
things to do before it can be used for such a system. mainly
getting dail plan info out of those .conf files.

--- Florian Overkamp <florian at obsimref.com> wrote:
> At 22:47 8-12-2003 +0100, you wrote:
> >The setup I imagine would be something like :
> >- several asterisk servers called sip1.isp.com, sip2.isp.com, ...
> >- a DNS alias sip.isp.com pointing to all the addresses (thus
> >   providing a round robin resolution on each server)
> >- each SIP client would register with sip.isp.com (thus ending on a
> >   random asterisk servers)
> >- but after that, all the servers would be "aware" of the
> >   registration. Thus any asterisk server would know how to route a
> >   call to SIP/<some registered user>
> >
> >Same thing for IAX peers.
> >
> >Of course, setting up various IAX links between each server is no
> >problem (with registration cascading, for instance).
>
> Registration cascading is not possible (I think) but could it be
> solved
> with a shared dial route:
>
> Instead of DIAL(IAX/sip.isp.com) could you not
> DIAL(IAX/sip1.isp.com&IAX/sip2.isp.com&IAX/sip3.isp.com) to reach a
> similar
> effect ? (or chain them in different lines so it tries to reach the
> first
> one, then the second one if it fails, and the third if that fails.
>
> Florian

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com