[Asterisk-Users] Roaming Users

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Sun Dec 7 17:55:27 MST 2003

I'm trying to come up with an elegant solution to handle roaming users in a
branch office scenario.  I have a number of possible scenarios, none of
which seem to completely solve the problem.  Perhaps someone with a better
feel of the interactions can help me out.  Is the 'switch' statement useful
in some way?  What are the ins and outs of the 'switch' statement?  Come to
think of it, there was a post a while back regarding how * searches the dial
plan.  Does any one have a handy link to that message

Any way, my example:  a company has a number of branch offices.  A few
implementation scenarios include:

a) One central hosted * against which all phones register.  Phones requiring
TFTP loads will need a local server or some sort of VPN'd TFTP connection to
the hosted server.  The canreinvite parameter on SIP phones can get
complicated if we want to keep local calls local to the branch, but yet all
off-net calls go to the hosted PBX for transmission to a gateway.  This
scenario is conducive to a roaming extension that can go from office to
office.

b) One central hosted * which handles DID routing and corporate Auto
Attendant functions.  Each branch office has a * for local extensions and
voicemail.  Each office will have to have a range of extensions assigned to
it.  This limits portability but effectively makes use of * trunking
capability to get to the hosted * for off-net calls.

There must be a way of merging the two scenarios so I can get:
a) roaming user capability (user can take own extension [logically or
physically] between offices)
b) local * server at each office to handle trunking to hosted *
c) central auto attendant for all offices
D) local extension to extension calls stay local (don't cross the WAN to the
hosted *)

Ray Burkholder
ray at oneunified.net
http://www.oneunified.net
704 576 5101

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.