[Asterisk-Users] Channelbank Recomendation and GS102 question

John Breeden jbreeden at plumhall.com
Sun Dec 7 17:08:54 MST 2003

Unless the world o' telecom has changed there really isn't such a thing as a
"Hybrid PRI". You can order a PRI with either voice only, data only or
voice+data. I used to order them all the time from GTE (now Verzion) when I
ran an ISP here in Hawaii a few years back. We ordered voice+data to support
was called "data over voice".

The only difference between an ISDN voice or data call is what is sent over
the d channel during call setup (voice/data and 56k/64k).

GTE used to charge by the minute for local isdn data calls but isdn voice
calls were free. The Livingston Portmasters we used as access servers would
answer the inbound call as a voice call and then look at the inbound data
stream. If it was ppp the Portmaster would just process it as ppp data. It
was a way of "getting around" gte's per minute data call charges. As far as
GTE's switches (and CDR records) were concerned it was just a voice call.

The person who you talked to at Verizon probably had no idea what "hybrid"
was so they just said as usual that it didn't exist. Hell, most Telco sales
I've experienced still don't even know that ISDN exists :-)

Try ordering a data PRI and add voice or voice PRI and add data, either will
work. I'll bet they are two different tariffs :-)

To get 768k of data out of a pri you would need to bond 12 channels via
multilink-ppp (rfc1618 as I recall). The linux 2.4 kernel supports
multilink-ppp (mlpppd) over a number of different phy layers.

I'm new * and just got my first * up and running (*very* cool so far, needs
doc writers though :-). I'm expecting my GS phones Monday from pulver, I've
never seen a T100P. I assume you setup the T100P to use X number of channels
for voice and the remaining go to mlpppd for data.

I'm guessing here but I assume you would have a hunt group assigned to the
voice pri channels for inbound voice calls. If you wanted inbound data you
would need a second hunt group assigned to the data channels.

Is that a good guess Walker? :-)

John Breeden
Plum Hall, Inc.
Hawaii